Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Notes From Class, 10-09-12

Petra Kuppers and her partner Neil Marcus came and spoke to our class today. That day. October 9th.

They are crips, cripples, people with disabilities --these are all phrases they used to define themselves.

The first thing I learned, but will often forget, is that compliments are inherent, and words aren't to be wasted on them. Specifically, I misunderstood "Accent?" as "Excellent." And said thank-you. Then, thankfully, I was corrected, and explained that I was from Stratford, England.

Before all this, the class crucible hit its boiling point and three separate groups merged and chatted playfully.

I was reprimanded for not wearing my cowboy boots.

I stayed after and helped two classmates with their pieces.

When we left the stage, people were still milling about talking about forming a writer's group, for practice and workshopping outside class.

Here are the notes I took on my phone, so I don't forget them.

  • "Storm Reading" is  play I should read.
  • The Olympiads (Olympians?) is a loose, disability advocacy and performance group
  • Neil does not like the phrase "Crip" instead prefers "Shape Shifter" or "Twisted Pretzel Alien."
  • Sara Kay(?)ne is a stage writer who committed suicide, and who was brilliant according to Petra and a classmate
  • Same classmate and I created a performance based on the line "Tell me of your body." Our performance was well received and will be added to for a final assignment, I think
  • The (German?) word Ichfrasis, over and over
  • The phrase, "The commutative, connotative world."
  • The phrase, "Small c catholic." 
  • On the 24th of October there is a disability outreach event at UofM, then another on the 25th, both based around or pertaining to the concept of Ichfrasis
  • The performance piece, with four people, could (might) have 
    • 4 stages
      • life
      • ascendance
      • descendance 
      • death
    • People turn and sync or unsync
    • all ask one speaks
    • all speak, one asks
    • speak for other people
    • the spacing is important:
      • moving closer, staying equally far apart
    • Location role vs Player role

No comments: