Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Snow Bird

I love being warm, and I love knowing that a car will do what I want it to, on a given road.

Driving on, in, through, snow is no such a thing.

So, what does this look like? If a year from now I'm writing from a meshed in porch in Indonesia, or Thailand? How did I get there?

I know that I am not there 100% of the time, I am still married, still have a son. We have to leave after Christmas, and stay until his school is out, so may or June, if they follow roughly the same educational time table we do here.

Does he learn Thai or Indonesian, in addition to English? I would like that.

I chose this location because it is warm, I know it to be (with research and a guide of sorts) cheap, and it seems reasonable.

Also because it requires a passport. The Puerto Rican islands do not require a passport, but are (I'm guessing) much more expensive, being primarily resort islands.

What am I doing? I am writing, one form or another. I could still be at the Uni(.) but that isn't strictly necessary, as long as we are all being supported.

Sure, but, all the way back to paragraph three: how did I get there? Was I visiting to set up a technology exchange for work? Were we vacationing? Visiting friends? A visiting professor whose acquaintance I made, who we (MW? Me?) became friends with due to children of similar ages and interests closely aligned?

There are weirder things that have happened.

I could be dual appointed, or working for a satellite or sister Uni.


As the sun sets, and E plays with his laptop or his Mega Blocks, I listen to noise canceling headphones while working on a new art installation.

MW haggles politely in the market for fresh fruit and veg and my mom (our families) send us hard to find foods and items via Fedex, once we've run out, around my birthday.

My birthday parties are laughingly described, now, as the most exclusive by all my friends back in Michigan.

Again, we are Indonesian, Thai, Korean, from December 27th through the end of May or June, and I work from my laptop or computer, or with my hands at some local job or what have you. Do I just find jobs once I'm there?

The idea of living without the social security net of a steady job is frightening, but is it ultimately better or worse than the alternatives?

I suppose we either find apartments --this would be ideal, for me (travel light, move light) we find apartments each time we move, or we rent out our house in the States and rent out or pay for the apartment/condo elsewhere even when we aren't in it (lend it to friends, or play host to families that need the space.)


No comments: